IT Specialist for Research Support, IT Center Position at UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI
Join the University of Helsinki to design and implement IT solutions for cutting-edge research needs! We carry out work during business hours and carry out maintenance tasks without night and weekend emergency services. Find out how we like working at the university (https://www2.helsinki.fi/en/it/it-center/join-us-in-creating-it-solution…).
We are looking for an IT expert to support research groups at the University of Helsinki within the IT for Research function of the IT Center. The position is mainly located on the Meilahti campus, but we also work remotely at times.
The IT for Research function corresponds, for example, to the support, maintenance and development of the use of high-performance computing (HPC) infrastructure and the associated storage in cooperation with researchers. In this position, you work in collaboration with the best researchers of the university and the experts of the Center for Information Technologies. Medical and life science research is data intensive and storing and managing research data requires knowledge and application of the latest information technology solutions. Besides that, you can also work independently and solve problems.
Your main tasks are
- Support researchers on issues related to scientific computing and data storage and the most common scientific applications
- support researchers in the development of scientific software
- possible participation in the maintenance and development of the university’s HPC environment.
What kind of person are we looking for? As skills you ideally possess
- Knowledge of the Linux operating system and possibly experience in maintaining Linux servers and tools used, package management (RPM, deb), orchestration (Ansible) and scripting languages (Python, Bash)
- software development expertise; methods, tools and best practices (Git, CI/CD, Python, C, C++, etc.)
- experience of scientific computing environments and the applications used in them (SLURM, Lmod).
- knowledge of the research services of the Center for Scientific Computing (CSC)
- good collaboration and communication skills; your work interacts with technical experts, senior researchers and experts from other academic activities
- good command of spoken and written English, fluency in Finnish an asset
- expertise in bioinformatics or research experience is an advantage for the candidate.
We also expect you to have an enthusiastic and dynamic approach, the ability to learn and be driven by diligence, and the ability to apply your own skills to practice.
Now you have a great opportunity to join the IT team of a leading Finnish university and create the conditions for high-level research. Our core values are quality services, skills development and an open and experimental operating culture. You will also have a good opportunity to develop your own skills and other advantages of a great organization, such as flexible working hours and affordable and versatile UniSport sports services.
As an employer, we want to create a community atmosphere where we learn from both successes and failures, support colleagues even in difficult situations and share responsibility for solutions that make our users’ daily work easier.
Are you interested?
I will be happy to answer your questions: Jukka Hienola, IT manager, tel. +358 503160691 ([email protected]).
Submit your application through our recruitment system from the Apply for a Job link no later than February 27, 2022. Simply complete the system with your personal information and attach a short application showing your skills and CV in pdf format . Candidates already employed by the university submit their application by logging on to https://msap.helsinki.fi. In case of technical problems, you can contact the HR department address: [email protected]
The salary for the position ranges from 3,300 to 4,400 euros per month, depending on your skills and the complexity of the agreed task. There is a six month trial period. The work is permanent and we can agree on a start time together.
The University of Helsinki is one of the best multidisciplinary research universities in the world. It is an international scientific community of over 40,000 students and staff, operating on four campuses in Helsinki and 15 other locations in Finland. High-quality research creates new knowledge that educates various experts in different fields and is used in social decision-making and business life. The university’s best research has been judged to be of high international quality. Discover the research conducted at the University of Helsinki at https://www.helsinki.fi/en/research.
The Computing Center’s approximately 200 IT professionals work on user support, technology and computing solutions, and the services it provides are used by more than 50,000 employees and university students. Learn more about us at https://www.helsinki.fi/en/it/center-for-information-technology.
27.02.2022 23:59 ET